Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Looking for food


I need meat.

A strange way to start a blog entry, I know, but it's the truth. Right now the one thing I'm craving the most is sweet, tender meat. Hamburger, hot dog, buffalo wings, steak, anything! All I want in my stomach right now is the delicious flesh of a being raised for the sole purpose of fulfilling my carnivorous tendencies. I'm not saying the food here is bad or anything, I mean they give us three full meals a day with a wide number of choices of dishes. And by that I mean rice and tofu. And a few steamed vegetables. Also, those god-awful noodles they keep serving us for breakfast. OK fine, the food here is pretty bad. It's just not as filling or satisfying as a nice burger. I think the thing I'm most excited about returning to Portland is all the sweet, greasy and delicious food I'll be able to eat.

This sudden craving for meat comes at a difficult time here. It started yesterday, when I began to experience some worrying symptoms, such as mild stomach pain and dizziness. I was hoping it was just the small aftereffects of some of the food here, but unfortunately, the instant I woke up today, my symptoms worsened tenfold: intense stomach cramps, diarrhea, sharp headaches, and a lack of energy. I've even had almost no appetite, meaning my nutrient intake has gone from little to almost nothing at all. Because of the crippling pain, I have been unable to participate in any of my classes today, or help out with the work group who do the chores here. So yeah, this day has been a bit tough on me, but I hope that I'll improve in the following days.

The past few days were especially tiring for me, two days ago we had to walk extremely far to visit some of the student's homes, which was alright, if very exhausting. The day after that? A hike equal in length, and twice as tiring as the last walk, as we had to walk uphill most of the way. I can say that my legs currently have the approximate consistency of melted jello. Other than that, not much has happened recently, and I'm going to right now take a long nap in hopes that I improve.

Until next time everyone!

Apparently not immune to disease,

Diego Molina

No comments:

Post a Comment