Friday, August 2, 2013

Storm clouds cometh.


And lo, did the heavens burst under its own weight, tearing apart the floodgates of the sky and letting loose the torrential forces of the storm. Suddenly, air and earth were at once fused by the relentless rain, their dividing line blurred by the maelstrom! Then, as if Nature's anger itself was pushed to the brink by this black storm, white streaks of lightning shattered the atmosphere, sending off a crashing wave of thunder like a charge of a million titanic stallions! Here at once, the forces of the universe converged, revealing their true primal forms, dwarfing the pathetic hovels of mankind and beating that species into submission yet again!

That right there was a rather dramatic interpretation of last nights rainstorm. Considering how hot it has been recently, and how unbelievably sunny it has been, really any amount of rain here would have seemed impressive. 

Now, I've had my fair share of thunderstorms, maybe not in Portland, where they are noticeably rare, but many times when I go to Mexico, I find myself at night in the middle of a massive storm, with deafeningly loud lighting strikes. Compared to those storms, the one here was actually quite mild. Sure, there was plenty of rain, but the lighting strikes were far off, and there was little wind. In fact, I would say that the storm was actually quite comfortable at first: The rain lowered the temperature a bit, and all the volunteers hung out in one dorm, chatting an waiting for the rain to stop, with lots of fans to keep us cool. I myself stood in the doorway for a while, enjoying the sight of rain and checking the sky for lightning flashes. It almost seemed like the rest of the night would be great.

And that's when the power went out, and with it, the fans that were keeping the temperature down.

Now, you would think that, during the night, the temperature would decrease considerably, and your partly right, as by the morning, the air is much cooler and quite comfortable. However, for the first half of the night, the heat is almost unbearable, and the fans make sure that we don't overheat while we sleep. With those gone, it seemed like it would be a very long night.

In truth, I was pretty lucky that night. My bunk is situated right next to a window that we open to cool down the dorm even further. Usually, this meant that my body served as the first line of defense against the buzzing hordes of insects and mosquito that populate this area. But this time, it also meant that I had a nice, cool breeze coming through, which kept me comfortable throughout the night. So bug bites aside, I'm very happy with which bed i got.

Teaching has been a draining task these past few days: our class, especially the boys, tend to be extremely rowdy during class, and it is difficult to maintain order and discipline. Despite that, I'm am very happy while teaching them, and I'm even doing a sort of science class: with the help of a Chinese volunteer, I have started teaching them once per day simple scientific courses, such as geology. Yesterday, in preparation for Earth day, I taught them about the water cycle, and how throwing trash away into the river can be detrimental to the whole world.

So that's it for today, I'm really tired so I'm going to take a nap right now. See you all later.

The guy who used to have a phobia of rain (yeah, seriously),

Diego Molina

No comments:

Post a Comment